Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Teaching in the age of COVID--Journal of a Plague Year

My last blog post was in January of this year. To say that things have changed would be a vast understatement. In terms of my own professional life, I've left New Mexico after three good years of teaching and one of being a director (basically a department chair). I now teach at a community college outside of Kansas City. More money and a better load, but there's a catch. 

Well, maybe it would be more accurate to say that I have caught something, maybe. At my new school, most of our courses have been meeting online. But I volunteered to teach two developmental English sections in the classroom. Our sections have been limited to nine students. We mask up and disinfect. Unfortunately, two of my students tested positive for COVID. And I had to move the class online for the rest of the semester. And I recently--two days ago--had to get tested. I am now waiting to see if I have COVID. 

I shouldn't have read the travel literature: See the World. Come to Kansas. Get incredibly ill. 

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment